Thursday, December 20, 2012

Heavenly Hands

I wanted to share a sweet experience from my mission that has truly touched my heart forever. 

I was in my first area, Valdivia, Chile, and it was cold, rainy night.  We were in the poorest part of our area: tiny houses and dirt roads.  Well when you've got dirt roads, and lots of rain...that just makes for a really big mess!!

On this particular night we went to visit Carmen, our sweet investigators with 2 adorable sons.  When we got there we found Carmen stressed out to the rafters and not 3, but 4 rowdy boys!  Their cousins had come to play, but it proved too much for Carmen to handle.  She had a lot of cleaning to do and those little boys were not being good minders!  

We decided to teach those little hooligans a lesson!  First off I taught them ´´COWABUNGA!´´
 (For all those who aren´t members of my immediate family, let me explain the significance of this word.  When the parents say, ´´Cowabunga´´ you need to jump up, but your hands under your bum and then sit down on your hands and close your mouth!)
 ...Let me tell ya...it worked like a charm!!! :) hahaha They loved it!!!  They sat on their hands and kept their mouths super quiet....but if they got all rowdy and loud again I would call out: ´´COWABUNGA!´´ and back to little angels they became.  

We taught a great lesson about obedience...and I learned a great lesson about service.

During our lesson, the youngest little boy, Juanito (5 years old), got up and left the room.  When he returned, he had a wet rag in his hands.  Without a sound he came over to me, got down on his knees and began to wipe the dirt off of my boots. 

I lost track of what my companion was saying, as my mind was filled with the image of our Savior when He washed the feet of his twelve Apostles. 


´´There,´´ said little Juanito, as he looked at my clean, shiny boots.  He left the room again just as quietly as before, put the rag in the hamper, and then sat down and listened intently to the rest of our lesson. 

My heart was so touched by the little tender act of service by this small child.  He saw a need, and quickly responded without being asked to do so.  He shared his love with me through his tiny hands. Our Savior Jesus Christ is not here with us physically...but He is here through our hands.  We can be His heavenly hands by giving service and loving others. 

I will never forget little Juanito, nor the sweet feeling of peace and I love I felt that night.  He truly taught me that I too need to become like a little child and love so freely, give so much more, and serve without holding back.

2 comments:

  1. :) I love those moments on the mission when you just can't seem to come up with words in the moment for what you're feeling and so you just find yourself smiling bigger than ever, hoping it will convey some of those feelings...
    I thought at the beginning of the mission that this would just happen because I wasn't good enough with the language and didn't have a way to respond, but it seemed to happen more and more even when I felt proficient with Spanish.
    Real good thought! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Rachel!! It touched MY heart and filled MY soul!!

    ReplyDelete