Monday, November 15, 2010

Called to Serve

I know this update is a little late.  For some reason, I have been hesitant to write it.  The reality of it all has still been sinking in, and I wanted to make sure I was in full awareness before posting about it. :)

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010
 I was sitting in my English class when I got a text from my dad saying: "It's here!!!"
My heart stopped...."My call is here?!?!  I only turned my mission papers in 10 days ago!!!!" 
 { I was not expecting it this soon! }
But ready or not, a letter containing life-changing information was waiting for me at home.


I wanted my family and close friends to be there with me when I opened it....which meant I had to wait until 8:30pm to open it!  Usually people hate waiting.  They want to know, and they want to know NOW. 
That wasn't the case for me.  I was not ready to open it.  I was scared out of my mind!! hahaha
I literally thought that I was about to go into cardiac arrest!
I felt sick to my stomach (due to nerves)
and was afraid that when I opened my mouth to read my call,
throw up would come out instead of actual words.
{ I tell ya...I was all sorts of nervous! }


I can't put into words what it felt like to be in that position; to find out where I would be living for the next year and a half of my life.
Not only that...but really acknowledging what it was that I "signed up" for.
I would leave everything: my family, my friends, my education, my job, my home, my bed, most of my clothes and material posessions...everything!  It's not like I am just picking up and moving somewhere new...
I am leaving everything I have ever known.
It is an intense feeling.
But what I would be getting in return has no price-tag.  It is invaluable.  This is the first time in my life where I have the opportunity to fully consecrate my life to the Lord. To give him ALL that I have.
To give ALL of me. 

Ok, so finally everyone arrived!  All 30 of us crammed into my tiny living room.  Smiles were on everyone's faces.  You could feel the excitement! { I could feel the love of my family and friends, and that was so overwhelming in and of itself! That meant more to me than they will ever know! }
We began with prayer...and then...it was time.
I slowly opened the envelope, and pulled out the contents within.
Quickly my eyes caught the name of a forgein country!
My heart leaped!!
No one knew except me...
{ I may or may not have done a small victory dance at this point }
I began to read aloud the letter:

"Dear Sister Kitto,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Chile Osorno Mission..."

An erruption of cheers and applause broke out! haha I think I even heard some "Arrriba!'s" hahaha
It was a struggle to finish the letter, as I was overcome with the spirit and many emotions.
Tearfully, I got through it all.

{  I am to report to the Provo MTC on March 16, 2011.  }
I you are like me, you are thinking: "Chile=WARM!!! Yay!!!!"
Well...unfortunately, this is not the case!
hahaha
You see, the Chile Osorno Mission is the most southern mission in the world...
AKA
We are the closest to ANTARCTICA!!!! (So keep me in your prayers!)
Yes, I will be preaching to the penguins!! ;)
There seasons are opposite of ours here in America! I will have warm Christmas' and freezing 4th of July's!

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to serve a mission! I am so excited to be Hermana Kitto :)
I am excited to speak Spanish!!! I am so excited to serve the people in Chile and to bring them the blessing of true gospel! This is the beginning.  I hope and pray that the Lord will take my inadequacies, and make me equal to all He has called me to do.  I hope to continue to prepare myself in every way to be a worthy and able missionary of the Lord.

"Come what may, and love it."

Shout out to the winners who guessed correctly:
*Shea Terry
*Jana Boschetti
*Anthony Holst
*Rachel Lanham Kitto
*Tuare Garrido

:)




5 comments:

  1. you don't knoow how incredibly well full of so many emotions you described i felt while reading this. i put my papers in and i am anxiously waiting. yes sooo nervous!!
    i am so excited for you! and your blog is so cute!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow!! No way! How exciting, congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. mmmm...1st best for Sister missionaries!!!!!!!!!!! :) If only it was 6 months longer....but I tried to make up for those 6 months I didn't get....BEST MISSION EVER!!!! :)

      Delete