Friday, February 11, 2011

Daily Delights:

Tuesday, February 8:

      We were outside in the hall in working on a reading assignment when I asked Victor, an adorable 12-year-old, Latino boy in my 6th grade class, to go check what time it was.  He replied, "Miss Kitto, I don't know how to tell time on those old-fashion clocks." (Referring to the clocks that aren't digital haha) I was very surprised...and yet very excited!  "Alright, bring me a piece of paper instead!"  I said as I smiled. :)

When he returned, I quickly drew a large circle and began to write in numbers and draw little dashes between them.  I drew a little :00 next to the 12, a :05 by the 1, :10 by the 2, :15 by the 3, and so forth...  I saw his eyes start to light up.  Then I explained the "big hand" and the "little hand."  "But what if the little hand is in between two numbers??"  Victor asked, you could tell this was something that has really bothered this kid...he was so anxious to learn!  I explained, "Once the little hand hits the number it becomes that hour, and it stays that hour through all of those little dashes, until it hits the next number."  (It made more sense when we were looking at our picture! haha)

You could have seen that little light bulb in his head light up from a mile away!  "Miss Kitto!!!! I GET IT!!!!:)  My favorite phrase in the world :)  Throughout the rest of the day he would come over to me and announce, proudly;  "Miss Kitto, (he always says my name haha) It is 12:17!!"  then later, "It's 1:02!!" ...and so forth. :)

Knowledge is power.  And Victor was definitely feeling it. :)

1 comment: